Centos 6/RHEL install Realtek 8188CUS USB Wireless connection

I see a few posts from people searching for a suitable USB wireless device to use on the Centos 6 Minimal Fluxbox Desktop and it can be difficult to find a good one. One which I came across and now use if I want to go wireless is the Realtek 8188/ 8192 chipset. I found the device on Ebay so I can't direct you to a retail outlet for it but they are pretty common and around in numbers there. Below are the device details.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n                                                                                  WLAN Adapter

See the Realtek site for more info 

Realtek 8188CUS USB Wireless Centos 6
A search around for 0dba:8176 online should land you on an outlet for these devices. The drivers are easy to build provided you have set up kernels and build tools properly, just unzip and run make && make install as root.

In case you have this USB device without the drivers, I have made
Realtek RTL 8188CUS Drivers available to download and build.

I believe they will suit 32 or 64 bit systems and these are for 300Mbps devices which should be suitable for most purposes.

Once you have built the drivers for the Realtek USB device, you can proced to set up the NetworkManager and WPA2 encryption to manage it.


Labels: , ,